Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lane Park

 
 
Lane Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, April 26, 2008
1. Lane Park Marker
Inscription. In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with 4,767 burials. The name changed to Red Mountain Cemetery, then to Red Mountain Park and finally to Lane Park in honor of Birmingham Mayor A.O. Lane. The land was also used for the Allen Gray Fish Hatchery ( fed by Pullen Springs), a stone quarry , a complete baseball diamond, and a golf driving range. Several of the stone structures were erected by the WPA. Two hundred acres are now the home of the Birmingham Zoo (est. 1954) and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (est. 1962).
 
Erected 2000 by Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society / Birmingham Zoo / Birmingham Botanical Gardens / Descendants of William Pullen.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 33° 29.394′ N, 86° 46.632′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Cahaba Road and Park Lane, on the right when traveling north on Cahaba Road. Touch for map. Marker is located
Lane Park Marker Across From The Birmingham Zoo Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, April 26, 2008
2. Lane Park Marker Across From The Birmingham Zoo Entrance
across the road from the Birmingham Zoo entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham AL 35223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Tuberculosis Sanatorium (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Early Mountain Brook Village Area (approx. half a mile away); Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School (approx. half a mile away); Shades Valley High School (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Union Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Redmont Park Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hollywood / Hollywood Town Hall / Hollywood Country Club (approx. 0.8 miles away); America's First Office Park (approx. 0.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. The New Deal in Jefferson County An Alphabet Soup. Images of WPA projects performed in Lane Park presented by the Birmingham Public Library. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.) 

2. The Birmingham Zoo Website. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
3. Birmingham Botanical Gardens Website. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. AnimalsCemeteries & Burial SitesGovernmentNatural ResourcesSettlements & SettlersSportsWar, US Revolutionary
 
The Zoo Train passing one of the former hatchery ponds built by the WPA. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 18, 2009
3. The Zoo Train passing one of the former hatchery ponds built by the WPA.
The Greenhouse Conservatory of the Birmingham Botanical Gardens image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, August 20, 2007
4. The Greenhouse Conservatory of the Birmingham Botanical Gardens
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,052 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement