Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The City of Griﬃn
In 1850 the form of government changed to Mayor and City Council with Alexander Moore designated as the first mayor of Griffin. The Mayor-Council form was followed until December 10, 1918 when J. Woods Hammond was the last mayor. At that time Griffin inaugurated a three member commission with one member serving as chairman and providing for a city manager to be employed by the Board of Commissioners. The first commission was composed of J.W. Greasham, Chairman, R. F. Strickland, Vice-Chairman, B. B. Brown, Commissioner. E. P. Bridges was the first City Manager.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 14.926′ N, 84° 15.718′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is at the intersection of East Solomon Street and South 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Solomon Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis Lawrence Griffin (here, next to this marker); Spalding County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rotary International (approx. 0.3 miles away); Founding of Griffin (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Founding of Griffin (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Spalding County (approx. half a mile away); Georgia Militia at Griffin (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,154 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.