Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
College of Arts and Sciences
Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey.
Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began the Geological Survey of Alabama.
Tuomey Hall originally housed the University of Alabama's chemistry laboratories and offices for the Geological Survey. From 1926 to 1999, it housed the University's Army Reserve Officer Training Corps program.
On April 27, 2002, rededicated as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House.
Barganier Davis Sims Architects Associated, Architect Billy E. Burnett, Inc., General Contractor.
Erected by University of Alabama.
Location. 33° 12.703′ N, 87° 32.704′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from Capstone Drive west of 6th Avenue. Touch for map. Building #1199, Tuomey Hall is located on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Storrs Cadet Troop (about 300 feet away); Amelia Gayle Gorgas (about 300 feet away); Smith Hall, 1908 (about 300 feet away); Rotunda Plaza (about 400 feet away); University of Alabama Civil War Memorial (about 400 feet away); The Little Round House (about 400 feet away); Oliver-Barnard Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.