Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
Meeting House on the Square
this stone meeting house dates from 1757 on the site provided by a deed from Thomas and Richard Penn for "a society of Presbyterians now residing or hereafter to reside in said town and environs thereof forever." The meeting house, designed by architect Robert Smith of Philadelphia, is the oldest public building in Carlisle.
The meeting house, 70 by 50 by 30, originally had entrance doors opening onto the lawn. Clear glass windows ranged along the sides. By the mid-1800s, the entrances were moved to the east end facing Hanover Street, and stained glass was installed. A one-story addition was later added on the west end and the tower was build at the reunion of Old and New School Presbyterians. A dedication was held October 18, 1873.
The first level of the south wing was built in the early 1950s. A second floor was added in 1987. This original meeting house
Erected by A Project of Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Location. 40° 12.093′ N, 77° 11.37′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on W. High Street just from Hanover St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shelling of Carlisle (here, next to this marker); Cumberland County Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Jim Thorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Forbes Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Return of the Captives (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland County (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Shelling of Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.