Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Located one block to the north, on the north side of Maiden Lane, Scotch Spring was owned by two prominent citizens, Robert Cochran and John Hay, and was a major water source for Fayetteville in the late eighteenth century. Throughout the nineteenth century, it continued to operate as a primary water source, eventually to be abandoned during the early 1900's.
Location. 35° 3.288′ N, 78° 53.03′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Hay Street and Pittman Street, on the left when traveling east on Hay Street. Touch for map. Marker is about 300 feet ESE of the Amtrak passenger train station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 450 Hay Street, Fayetteville NC 28301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sherman's Army (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Settlement of the Upper Cape Fear (about 700 feet away); Currahee Rocks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Highsmith-Rainey Memorial Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward J. Hale House (approx. ¼ mile away); Plummer Bridge (approx. ¼ mile First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charter of the University of N. C. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Natural Features • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.