Thomasville in Davidson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Caring for the Sick and Wounded
By the time the first 280 wounded men arrived by train from the Averasboro battlefield that month, the hospital depot included several buildings. The Pinnix Tobacco Factory and the Baptist and Methodist churches were used to shelter the troops, while the office of the L. L. Thomas Hotel served as a headquarters.
Preparing for the wounded soldiers’ arrival and maintaining the hospitals were community efforts. Students from the Glen Anna Female Seminary helped to fill pine-straw mattresses, while local women prepared food and served as nurses and local doctors assisted the
The 34 men who died in Thomasville – among them 26 Confederates, 4 Federals, and 4 unknowns – were buried in a common plot in the city cemetery. In 1908, a Georgian who had served in the hospital depot led a successful fundraising effort to provide headstones for those who had died, as a tribute to the sacrifices of the soldiers and the dedication of the community who served them.
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 53.036′ N, 80° 4.773′ W. Marker is in Thomasville, North Carolina, in Davidson County. Marker is at the intersection of E Main Street and Memorial Park Drive, on the right when traveling north on E Main Street. Marker is located in a small park near the railroad tracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thomasville NC 27360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John W. Thomas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomasville City Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Thomasville John W. Thomas (approx. 2.9 miles away); John H. Mills (approx. 3½ miles away); NC Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Trinity College (approx. 5 miles away); a different marker also named Trinity College (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomasville.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker has a map of Thomasville indicating the site of the marker, the City Cemetery, Glen Anna Seminary, Pinnix Tobacco Factory site, L.L. Thomas Hotel site, First RR Depot, Methodist and Baptist Church sites and Visitors’ Center. Around this are photographs of Glen Anna Female Seminary, ca. 1857 - Courtesy Duke University Library; Methodist Church, R.L. Pope painting - Courtesy Wheels of Faith and Courage (1952); and Baptist Church - Courtesy First Baptist Church archives. Also on the marker is a portrait of Dr. Simon Baruch Courtesy Confederate Veteran magazine.
Also see . . . Western North Carolina Civil War Sites. North Carolina Civil War Trails (Submitted on August 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Thomasville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 966 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.