Edinburg in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
below Beecher Falls in 1879.
Only NYS Queenpost Truss
Bridge. Placed on NYS and
National Register in 1998
Erected 1999 by the Town of Edinburg.
Location. 43° 13.258′ N, 74° 6.021′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on North Shore Road (County Route 4), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker and covered bridge are located near the 4 corners intersection of Edinburg and the Batchellerville Bridge which crosses the northern arm of the Great Sacandaga Lake. Marker is in this post office area: Northville NY 12134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carriage Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beecher's Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barker's Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Batchellerville (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Country Store (approx. 1.2 miles away); S. Batcheller Home (approx. 1.2 miles away); Great Sacandaga Lake (approx. 1.2 miles away); Building the Batchellerville Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edinburg.
Regarding Covered Bridge.
Arad Copeland (1805-1884) built the quaint old bridge in 1879 after a previous open bridge had been destroyed by melting spring snow and ice. He decided to build the present covered bridge to get his cows safely to pasture on the other side of Beecher Creek. The bridge had remained in the Copeland family until the fall of 1997 when great, great grandson Robert Tyrrell and his wife Betty graciously deeded the bridge over to the Edinburg Historical Society. Thereafter the society obtained funding for a rehabilitation of the bridge.
According to Copeland family legend local residents Melzor Manning laid the abutment stones, Jacob Latcher hewed the timbers and Azariah Ellithorpe Jr. framed the bridge. This is the only covered bridge left in Saratoga County, NY and it has always been used for animal and pedestrian traffic. This bridge has a 35-foot span built on a Queenpost truss. A Queenpost Truss is a lengthened version of the King Post truss. The peak of the King Post is replaced by a horizontal top chord which allows for bridges with longer spans.
The Copeland Covered Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 6, 1998.
The bridge numbers are assigned by the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, the Copeland bridge being "NY-46-01."
Also see . . . The Town of Edinburg page for the Copeland Covered Bridge. (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Sacandaga Batchellerville Bridge
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 2,404 times since then and 306 times this year. Last updated on September 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 14, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 8. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 9, 10. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.