Granstville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mile Marker. The white cast iron mile marker here is one of many that were installed in 1835 when the State of Maryland took over responsibility for the National Road from the federal government. These markers show how far it is to each end of the road (Cumberland, MD and Wheeling, WV) as well as how far it is to the next towns. From this marker, Frostburg, MD to the east and Petersburgh (now Addison, PA) to the west are the next towns.
Schutlz Inn. In 1845 Adam Schultz built an imposing brick inn behind you, directly across the street from the Casselman Inn. After the Schultz Inn was torn down,the materials used to build
The National Hotel. Until demolished in 1984, the National Hotel was located at the center of town. A previous tavern, the Layman House, had been built on the site in 1832. Henry Fuller tore down the old building and erected the National Hotel in 1837. It had 18 rooms and provided stabling for 40 horses.
Fuller Baker Log House. The Fuller Baker Log House was built about 1815 and was most likely used as a tavern. It is now a private residence.
Penn Alps. The building now known as Penn Alps Restaurant encases an original log tavern. Called Little Crossings Inn, it was built by Jesse Tomlinson in 1818. Enlarged and remodeled around 1900, it became the home of William Stanton as shown in the photo. Known later as the Dixie Tavern, there is a brochure and historic signage along a "history walk" on the property.
The Stone House. Tomlinson's Stone House Inn was built in 1816 at Little Meadows. The walls in the Stone House
Erected by the Appalachian Regional Commission, Maryland Office of Planning, Town of Grantsville, Greater Grantsville Business Association, and Preservation Maryland/Maryland Historical Trust.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 41.754′ N, 79° 9.105′ W. Marker is in Granstville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on Main Street (Alternate U.S. 40) east of Dorsey Hotel Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Main Street, Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Traveling the National Road (here, next to this marker); Casselman Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Leo J. Beachy (approx. ¼ mile away); Grantsville (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Little Crossings (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Historic Casselman Inn. (Submitted on May 19, 2006.)
2. Penn Alps Restaurant & Craft Shop, & Spruce Forest Artisan Village. (Submitted on May 19, 2006.)
3. Grantsville Historical Interpretive Sign Text. Expanded text used for these two markers. (Submitted on May 19, 2006.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,562 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 6. submitted on July 7, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 7. submitted on August 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 8. submitted on May 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Fuller Baker Log House Photo • Indoor photo of Penn Alps log cabin room • Can you help?