Near New Alexandria in Jefferson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Gen. John H. Morgan in command of Confederate Troops passed here July 25, 1863; proceeded northward up Cross Creek valley, via Wintersville, pursued by Gen. James M. Shackelford commanding 14th Ill. Cav., First Ky. Cav., 9th Mich. Cav., 11th Mich. Batíy., 86th Ohio Mounted Inf., 2nd Tenn. Mounted Inf.
Tablet No. 6 Erected July, 1913
Erected 1913. (Marker Number 6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the John Hunt Morganís Raid - Jefferson County, Ohio marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 18.285′ N, 80° 40.842′ W. Marker was near New Alexandria, Ohio, in Jefferson County. Marker was at the intersection of County Highway 74 and Local Highway 166, on the left when traveling east on County Highway 74. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 5143 Mingo Junction-Goulds Road, Mingo Junction OH 43938, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Morgan's Raid (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Morgan's Raid (approx. 0.8 Patrick Gass (approx. 4.1 miles away in West Virginia); Brooke County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away in West Virginia); Patrick M. Gass (approx. 4.1 miles away in West Virginia); The Wellsburg United Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away in West Virginia); The Lewis and Clark Connection (approx. 4.3 miles away in West Virginia); George Washington Crossing, 1770 (approx. 4.3 miles away in West Virginia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Alexandria.
Also see . . . Stolen Plaque. Bronze plaque was stolen from concrete base over the July 4th weekend in 2008. See story and photo of plaque. (Submitted on September 29, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.)
1. A little about the marker series:
On July 25-26, 1863, near the end of his Indiana-Ohio Raid, Confederate Gen. John Morgan's cavalry forces crisscrossed Jefferson County, Ohio. On the raidís 50th anniversary, a Three Wars Celebration was held in Steubenville to honor Revolutionary War, Civil War and Spanish-American War soldiers. The Stanton Monument Association, originally formed to erect a statue of Lincoln War Secretary and Steubenville native Edwin Stanton (completed in 1911), organized the three-day 1913 extravaganza. Along the route of the Great Raid, 14 granite monuments were installed, each “about 1,800 pounds, being twenty inches square, resting on a concrete foundation, and four feet high, with a front bevel to receive a suitable bronze tablet 16x24 inches.”
— Submitted November 2, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.