Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
LaGrange in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Nancy Harts

 
 
The Nancy Harts Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 18, 2010
1. The Nancy Harts Marker
Inscription. In 1863, a company of women soldiers was formed in LaGrange by Mrs. J. Brown Morgan. They called themselves the “Nancy Harts” in honor of Georgia’s Revolutionary War heroine. Organized to defend LaGrange in the absence of its men, the Nancy Harts held drills and target practice and became proficient at each.

On April 17, 1865, a column of Union cavalry was reported to be approaching LaGrange from the west. This column, the 2nd Brig., 1st Div., of Wilson’s cavalry corps, was commanded by Col. O. H. LaGrange, 1st Wis. Cav. On the 16th, it had crossed the Chattahoochee River at West Point (18 miles SW), captured fort Tyler, a strong redoubt commanding the town, and destroyed the bridges, the rail facilities, 19 locomotives, 340 cars loaded with army supplies, and much valuable machinery. Early on the 17th, it had marched toward LaGrange, destroying the railroad enroute.

The Nancy Harts mobilized promptly, determined to resist any attempted depredations, but they were spared a trial at arms. Seeing the charmingly militant array formed to meet him, Colonel LaGrange complimented them upon their fearless spirit and fine martial air and, after a brief delay, marched on toward Macon, leaving no scar other than the broken railroad to deface this gracious Georgia town whose name he chanced to bear.
 
Erected
The Nancy Harts Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 18, 2010
2. The Nancy Harts Marker
1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 141-13.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 2.412′ N, 85° 1.856′ W. Marker is in LaGrange, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker is on Franklin Street (Georgia Route 14) 0 miles south of Haralson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker stands on the lawn of the Troup County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lagrange GA 30240, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Michael Troup (here, next to this marker); Lafayette (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fuller Earle Callaway, Sr. (about 600 feet away); Troup County (about 700 feet away); Troup County Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Bellevue (approx. half a mile away); Bellevue, Home of Sen. Benjamin Harvey Hill (approx. half a mile away); Lynching in America / Raising a Voice Against Racial Violence (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaGrange.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Nancy Harts Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 18, 2010
3. The Nancy Harts Marker
The marker with the Troup County Courthouse in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 779 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement