Near Alexandria in Calhoun County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Tallasahatchie Battle Field
Tallasahatchie Battle Field.
On this spot
Lieut. Gen. John Coffee with
Gen. Andrew Jackson’s men
won a victory over the
Creek Indians, Nov. 3, 1813.
Erected by the
Frederick Wm. Gray Chapt.
Daughters of the American
Revolution. Nov. 3, 1913.
Erected 1913 by Frederick Wm. Gray Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Location. 33° 47.007′ N, 85° 55.576′ W. Marker is near Alexandria, Alabama, in Calhoun County. Marker is on McCullars Lane west of County Road 73, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. McCullars Lane located about 1.5 miles east of U.S. Highway 431. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria AL 36250, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lincoyer (here, next to this marker); Crook Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tallasseehatchee (approx. 2.2 miles away); Major John Pelham (approx. 4˝ miles away); The Birthplace of the “Gallant Pelham” (approx. 4.6 miles away); Janney Furnace Fort Strother (approx. 7.9 miles away); Battle of “Ten Islands” (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
1. Location of Battle Field
According to author Donna Causey in her book "Alabama Footprints: Confrontation" (pg. 63), the town of Tallasseehatchee was located on the headwaters of the Tallasseehatchee Creek, about 2.5 miles southwest of Jacksonville, which would put it just off AL Hwy 21, across from RMC Hospital-Jacksonville. Anyone have any input as to the location of this battlefield?
— Submitted November 6, 2017, by Dr. Stephen Rowe of Jacksonville, Alabama.
Categories. • Notable Places • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,412 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.