Near Belleville in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery
Coming directly to the Montrose-Belleville community from St. Germain in eastern France, 32 families arrived beginning in the early 1850's. Unique and isolated, the group prospered and grew, numbering nearly 500 in 1900.
Typical pioneers, these people were persistent, industrious, and true to the teachings of their church.
"Jesus pardonnez a vos serviteurs pour lequels
Marie la divine patronne implore la clemence."
[Translation: "Jesus pardons those servants for whom Mary the Divine Patron asks clemency."]
Erected 1967 by the Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 53.716′ N, 89° 30.144′ W. Marker is near Belleville, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on French Town Road one mile east of Wisconsin Highway 69, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belleville WI 53508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paoli (approx. 2.7 miles away); Early Belleville / Library Park Lake Harriet School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Swan Pond (approx. 4.6 miles away); Illinois Central Depot / Fitchburg (approx. 4.9 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dane County Home (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Also see . . . A History of Area Catholic Churches. (Submitted on October 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,302 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on March 8, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.