Webb City in Jasper County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Webb City, (Webbville), was platted by John C. Webb in September, 1875, and incorporated in December, 1876, with a population of 700. The city was located on a portion of Webb's 200-acre farm, which he entered in February, 1857. There in 1873, Webb discovered lead while plowing. With the assistance of W.A. Daugherty, he sank the first pump-shaft in 1874. Then Webb leased his land to Daugherty and G.P. Ashcraft. In 1876 the Center Creek Mining Company leased the land and began operations. Some 20 years later 700 mines were located within the limits of Webb City and adjacent Carterville and the district ranked first in the production of zinc ore (black jack).
Webb aided the city in its material development. He gave land for a school, and the first Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He built the Webb City Bank and the first hotel.
The St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad was built to Webb City in 1879; the Missouri Pacific , in 1881. The population increased from 1,588 in 1880 to 9,201 in 1900. After the success of the first Webb City sheet ground mine ("Yellow Dog") in the 1890s, business boomed. The 100-room Newland Hotel was built and coeducational Webb City College was established. The Webb City Mining District was prominently represented at the Chicago Columbian Exposition,
(See other side)
During World War I zinc and lead concentrates produced in the Webb City-Carterville-Prosperity District were valued at more than $18 million. Webb City's population increased to some 15,000.
After the decline of mining in the postwar period, Webb City turned to diversified industrial and agricultural production. In the 1930s and during World War II, explosives were manufactured by powder plants located near Webb City.
From 1948 until his death in 1962, Ernest Jesse Palmer, nationally famous natural scientist, maintained a herbarium of more than 20,000 specimens at Webb City. The major portion of his collections was willed to the University of Missouri, and some of his letters were deposited in the manuscript collection of the State Historical Society of Missouri.
Erected by City of Webb City.
Location. 37° 8.421′ N, 94° 27.808′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is about 100 yards south of MacArthur Boulevard (US Route 71) in King Jack Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 555 South Main Street, Webb City MO 64870, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Kneeling Miner (a few steps from this marker); Southwest Missouri Electric Railway Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Prosperity Junction Station and Street Car #60 (within shouting distance of this marker); Number 1 Gun (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Military Order of The Purple Heart (approx. 0.2 miles away); Webb City Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial of Timeless Honor (approx. 1.2 miles away); Joplin (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Webb City.
Also see . . .
1. Webb City, Missouri. (Submitted on October 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Webb City, Missouri. (Submitted on October 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Missouri Mining. (Submitted on October 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.