Near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of Fredericksburg
Franklin and Sumner had the same objective: drive the Confederate army from its stronghold on the heights west of the river. Franklin would attack the right end of the Confederate line at Prospect Hill, one-half mile to your left-front, while Sumner attacked the left end of the enemy line at Marye’s Heights, in rear of Fredericksburg. Franklin deployed his troops one-quarter mile ahead of you. At 10 a.m., December 13, 1862, as he was making final arrangements for the assault, the sound of cannon fire broke the silence. Franklin himself was under attack!
Erected 2007 by The Delaware Corporation.
Location. 38° 15.158′ N, 77° 25.574′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Tidewater Trail (Virginia Route 2) and Benchmark Road (County Route 608), on the right when traveling south on Tidewater Trail. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gallant Pelham (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Gallant Pelham (here, next to this marker); Stuart and Pelham (here, next to this marker); Fort Hood (here, next to this marker); Dead Horse Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jackson Holds Prospect Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jackson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hamilton's Crossing (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. A map showing unit locations during the battle dominates the center of the marker. On the upper right is a portrait of Gen. Franklin captioned, "William B. Franklin - A staff officer who saw Franklin during the war described him as “an easy, unpretending soldier, strong and manly.” At Fredericksburg he commanded the left wing of the Union army." On the lower right is "A view of the battlefield as it appeared in 1893."
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,381 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.