Green Bay in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Spirit of the Northwest
This statue, designed by Suamico native, Sydney Bedore, and dedicated on June 10, 1931 with Governor Phillip Lafollette among the speakers, represents a Fox Indian, Claude Allouez and Nicholas Perrot.
Native Americans lived in Wisconsin for about ten thousand years before the arrival of Europeans. These original settlers were ancestors of the Winnebago, Menominee and Santee Dakota. Other tribes, such as the Fox, Sauk, Mascouten, Kickapoo, Miami, and Chippewa moved into this region during the 1600's.
Father Claude Allouez, a Jesuit missionary, arrived in Green Bay in 1668. He established the St Francis Xavier mission at what is now De Pere. The following year he led an expedition to explore the Fox and the Wisconsin rivers.
Nicholas Perrot, a French explorer and fur trader, first arrived in green Bay about 1664. Commissioned by the government of Canada, he took formal possession of the Bay and its surrounding land in the name of the King of France in 1689.
Location. 44° 30.797′ N, 88° 0.821′ W. Marker is in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of East Walnut Street and South Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling west on East Walnut Street. Touch for map.
This statue is locate on the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbus Community Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Curly Lambeau's Office Northern Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown County Civil War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Brown County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Green Bay Press-Gazette (about 400 feet away); Birthplace Of The Packers (about 500 feet away); St. Willebrord Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Bellin Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Bay.
More about this marker.
A replica of the Liberty Bell is also located at the site.
Regarding The Spirit of the Northwest.
This beautiful statue was placed on the lawn of the Brown County Court House in downtown Green Bay, Wisconsin. The sculptor, Sidney Bedore, depicts the earliest beginnings of settlement in the Fox River Valley. The figures are Father Claude Allouez, who established St. Francis Xavier Mission on the Rapides des Peres, 1671; Nicolas Perrot, builder and commander of Fort St. Francis, 1684, and first
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,418 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on December 23, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 4. submitted on December 14, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 5. submitted on June 13, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.