Fort Scott in Bourbon County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Site of Fort Henning
Erected 1917 by Molly Foster Berry Chapter No. 1001, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 37° 50.404′ N, 94° 42.451′ W. Marker is in Fort Scott, Kansas, in Bourbon County. Marker is at the intersection of National Avenue and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on National Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is below the cornerstone, near the base of the flagpole at the US Post Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South National Avenue, Fort Scott KS 66701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Scott Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Scott Spanish American War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moody Building (about 300 feet away); In Honored Memory (about 300 feet away); Richards Building Ingham Building (about 400 feet away); Memorial Hall (about 400 feet away); Milrose Block (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Scott.
More about this marker. The marker has been moved from its original location.
Regarding Site of Fort Henning. Fort Henning, also known as Lunette Henning, was one of several wooden blockhouses erected during the Civil War to defend the critical US Army supply depot at Fort Scott.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Scott National Historic Site National Register Nomination Mentions Lunette Henning. (Submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Henning in Blackmar's Kansas Cyclopedia (1912). (Submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Site of Fort Henning.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.