Corrales in Sandoval County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Population 2,791 - Elevation 5,097
Spanish colonization of this region, once the location of many Tiwa Indian pueblos, began in the 17th century. Corrales is named for the extensive corrals built here by Juan González, founder of Alameda. In the 18th century this rich farming area was subject to Comanche attacks, and was raided by Navajos as late as 1851.
(rear of marker)
San Isidro, patron saint of farmers, is the traditional guardian of the valley. The present church is the third to bear his name. Spanish, and later, United States garrisons used the valley as a base of defense to protect the river settlements of Albuquerque and Bernalillo, and nearby pueblos and towns from Navajo raids.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro marker series.
Location. 35° 13.201′ N, 106° 37.221′ W. Marker is in Corrales, New Mexico, in Sandoval County. Marker is at the intersection of Corrales Road (State Road 448) and Jones Road, on the right when traveling south on Corrales Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3949 Corrales Road, Corrales NM 87048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Iglesia de San Ysidro (approx. one mile away); Alameda (approx. one mile away); Tiguex Province (approx. 3.4 miles away); Dulcelina Salce Curtis (1904-1995) (approx. 3.6 miles away); Spanish Entrada Site (approx. 6.1 miles away); Dońa Dolores “Lola” Chávez de Armijo (approx. 6.1 miles away); Bernalillo (approx. 6˝ miles away); Women Veterans of New Mexico (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.