Near Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Amelia Elizabeth White / Mary Cabot Wheelwright
(1878-1972) / (1878-1958)
Amelia Elizabeth White (1878-1972)
Amelia Elizabeth White worked tirelessly to promote Indian art and to preserve Santa Fe's heritage. A philanthropist and community activist, she donated land for the Laboratory of Anthropology and the Wheelwright Museum, gave the city its first animal shelter, and established the Garcia Street Club for neighborhood children. Her estate, once a gathering place for local artists, is now home to the School for Advanced Research.
Mary Cabot Wheelwright (1858-1958)
Born in Boston, art heiress Mary Cabot Wheelwright came to New Mexico for an extended visit in the 1920s. She restored and lived in Los Luceros, a centuries old Rio Grande estate. Her understanding and advocacy of Navajo spirituality resulted from her association with ceremonial singer Hastiin Klah. Wheelwright created the Museum of Navajo Ceremonial Art, now the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Fe NM 87508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bicentennial Celebration / La Bajada (here, next to this marker); Laura Gilpin (1891-1979) (here, next to this marker); Maria Gertrudis Barceló (a few steps from this marker); Three Wise Women (a few steps from this marker); Sisters of Charity (a few steps from this marker); Gold and Turquoise (a few steps from this marker); Golondrinas Old Cienega Village Museum (approx. 4.1 miles away); Welcome to the Cerrillos Hills State Park (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Fe.
Categories. • Women •
More. Search the internet for Amelia Elizabeth White / Mary Cabot Wheelwright.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,144 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.