Newburyport in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 48.707′ N, 70° 52.239′ W. Marker is in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Merrimac St., on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker is at the side of the "Newburyport Firehouse", a popular and well-known civic center. Marker is in this post office area: Newburyport MA 01950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newburyport Firehouse Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square Tea Burning (within shouting distance of this marker); Coast Guard Bicentennial Marker (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Memory of the Officers and Men William Lloyd Garrison (about 800 feet away); Newburyport Sailor's Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dalton House (approx. ¼ mile away); The 1873 Train Wreck (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newburyport.
Also see . . .
1. Watts' Cellar and reality. In short, fourty-seven years after this marker was erected, the exact location of the cellar is still unknown. (Submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts.)
2. Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on October 14, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 641 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.