Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The 1836 Fort
The uprising was quelled before the fighting reached Fort Gaines. This was one of the last major insurgences of the Creeks before their removal to the West.
Erected 1996 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Local Color Publishers, and “Tale of the Naked Hitchhiker”.
Location. 31° 36.357′ N, 85° 3.29′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Bluff Street and Carroll Street, on the right when traveling south on Bluff Street. Touch for map. The marker is located some distance from Bluff Street, at the rear of the 1927 Women's Club House, located near the levee. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Confederacy (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Lattice Bridge Fort Gaines (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Gaines Female College (about 600 feet away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Chattahoochee River Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Fort Gaines Guards (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.