The Great Platte River Road
1813 - 1840
The Astorians were followed in 1820 by Major Stephen Long’s exploring party that ascended the Platte and South Plate to the Rocky Mountains. In 1830 fur trader William Sublette led the first wagon caravan along the Platte to the trappers’ rendezvous in Wyoming. His trek proved that wagons could cross the mountains, showing the way for thousands of overland emigrants to come in the 1840s and 1850s.
Erected by Ogallala/Keith County Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Great Platte River Road marker series.
Location. 41° 7.542′ N, 101° 43.088′ W. Marker is in Ogallala, Nebraska, in Keith County. Marker is at the intersection of East A Street and West Second Street on East A Street. Touch for map. This marker is at the southwest corner of the intersection of East
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Great Platte River Road (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pony Express (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Highways 26 and 92 (about 400 feet away); Standard Oil Gas Station (about 500 feet away); End of the Texas Trail (about 500 feet away); California Hill (about 600 feet away); Interstate 80 (about 600 feet away); The Mormon Trail (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ogallala.
Also see . . . The Great Platter River Road - Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Exploration • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.