Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Here beside the Georgetown-Alexandria road stood Fort Haggerty, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 128 yards and emplacements for 4 guns, it was designed to bring under fire the slope south of Fort Corcoran, which could not be seen from there.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 53.656′ N, 77° 4.107′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Boulevard and North Arlington Ridge Road, on the right when traveling west on Wilson Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22209 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington VA 22209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Indian Villages and Captain John Smith (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); History Of The U. S. Marine Corps (approx. ¼ mile away); The Battle For Iwo Jima (approx. ¼ mile away); Watergate Investigation (approx. ¼ mile away); ARPANET (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Flag Raisings (approx. 0.3 miles away); United States Marine Corps War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Theodore Roosevelt (approx. 0.3 miles away in District of Columbia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Haggerty.
1. Fort Haggerty Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Named for Lt. Col. James Haggerty of the 69th New York State Militia, mortally wounded at the First Battle of Bull Run. The fort was built in May 1861 to protect the Aqueduct bridge (near the site of the modern day Key Bridge). Fort Haggerty covered a blind spot not visible from nearby Fort Corcoran. The fort had a perimeter of 128 yards. It was armed with only four 24-pdr
During the war detachments from the 69th New York State Milita, 97th New York Infantry, 164th Ohio Infantry, 4th New York Heavy Artillery, and 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery garrisoned the works at different times.
— Submitted February 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,749 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.