Arcadia in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
After the route was designated a national highway in 1926, improvements were made to the 1917 roadbed. The original road between Edmond and Arcadia was constructed by convict labor. The highway through Arcadia was paved in 1929.
Many Arcadia businesses catered to travelers' needs with gasoline stations, cafes, lodging facilities and a grocery and general store.
Erected 1994 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 215.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society, and the U.S. Route 66 marker series.
Location. 35° 39.72′ N, 97° 19.55′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on East Oklahoma State Highway (U.S. 66) west of North Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located directly across the road from the Arcadia Round Barn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 East Highway 66, Arcadia OK 73007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beverly and Karl White (within Frank and Katie Vrana (within shouting distance of this marker); Luke and Anna Robison (within shouting distance of this marker); Arcadia Round Barn, Arcadia, Oklahoma (within shouting distance of this marker); Everybody Had One (within shouting distance of this marker); Tuton's Drugstore (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Irving's Camp (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Washington Irving's Camp (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arcadia.
Also see . . .
1. Arcadia Round Barn Arcadia, Oklahoma. National Park Service (Submitted on January 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Round Barn of Arcadia. The Arcadia Historical Society. (Submitted on January 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 27, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 4. submitted on May 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.