Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
South African War Memorial
— ("2nd Boer War") —
South face of pedestal:
Canadians who died defending the Empire
in the South African War, 1899-1902
South face of obelisk:
Relief of Kimberly
Relief of Mafeking
East face of obelisk:
South Africa, 1901
South Africa, 1902
West face of obelisk:
Orange Free State
Location. 43° 39.078′ N, 79° 23.207′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto County. Marker is on University Avenue just north of Queen Street, in the median. The Monument is on the median, facing south, opposite the Osgoode Hall driveway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320-330 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5H, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canadian Airmen Monument (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 The Royal York Hotel (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The Discovery of Insulin (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Charles William Jefferys (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); The Macdonald-Mowat House (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Sir Daniel Wilson (approx. 1.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
Also see . . .
1. Close-up photos of Allward's bronze figures on the base of the Memorial. (Submitted on July 30, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Walter Seymour Allward 1875-1955. (Submitted on July 30, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. South African Wars 1879-1915. (Submitted on July 30, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Boer War; "Anglo-Boer War"; Walter Seymour Allward, sculptor; Sen. James Mason, the primary monument promoter.
Categories. • 20th Century • Military • Notable Events • Politics •
More. Search the internet for South African War Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 30, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.