Cheat Bridge in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Astride the Road from Nowhere
The primeval wilds of Cheat Mountain greeted Union soldiers. The land was dominated by tall red spruce and impenetrable rhododendron thickets. Federal troops built the fort on the appropriated farm of Southern sympathizer Mathias White. Awe of their surroundings was soon replaced by the drudgery and monotony of camp life.
Heavy rains regularly reduced roads and campgrounds to deep mud. The constant dampness destroyed soldier’s clothes and tents, and provisions were often in short supply. Disease and body lice were rampant throughout the camp; those patrolling outside the walls risked attack from guerrillas. An instance of mutiny arose among some men. The winter of 1861-1862 brought deadly cold and heavy snow, isolating the fort.
Erected by US Forest Service.
Location. 38° 37.368′ N, 79° 52.757′ W. Marker is in Cheat Bridge, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker can be reached from County Route 250/4 1.1 miles Touch for map. Located in Fort Milroy. Marker is in this post office area: Huttonsville WV 26273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Guarding the Turnpike (here, next to this marker); Cabin Remains (within shouting distance of this marker); Behind the Parapet (within shouting distance of this marker); Cheat Summit Fort (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shavers Fork (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cheat Summit Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Asa Gray / Buffalo-Indian Trail (approx. one mile away); Cheat Mountain (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheat Bridge.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 719 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.