Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Campbell House, ca. 1845
Andrew Reid purchased this lot in 1784 from the town’s trustees. Later, between 1844 and 1845, Alexander T. Sloan, a local hotel owner and businessman, built this house. His wife reported that the site was a “rough and unsightly piece of ground” when they purchased it, but they transformed it into their “mansion house.”
The building is referred to as an “I” house, a vernacular building tradition with origins in England. Distinguished by elegant Federal style details, the house has two false windows on the Randolph street side – probably an effort to cut down noise and dust while maintaining a balanced symmetry. It also has an unusual stretcher bond on the front.
In 1866 the four Waddell sisters purchased the house and like many ladies of limited means, offered “table” to bachelor faculty and students. Through them, the house was inherited by Dr. Leslie Lyle Campbell, a local historian and founder of the Rockbridge Historical Society. He left the house to the Society in 1964. It is now open to the public as the Society’s headquarters and museum.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stonewall Jackson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson's Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockaway (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Jacob Ruff House, ca. 1829 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Campbell House, ca. 1845.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.