Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dibrell's Brigade

Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Corps.

 

—Col. George G. Dibrell. —

 
Dibrell's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
1. Dibrell's Brigade Marker
Inscription.
Dibrell's Brigade
Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Corps.
Col. George G. Dibrell.

Sept. 20, 1863, noon, 2d Position
4th Tennessee - Col. Wm. S. McLemore.
8th Tennessee - Capt. Hamilton McGinnis.
9th Tennessee - Col. Jacob B. Biffle.
10th Tennessee - Col. Nicholas Nickleby Cox.
11th Tennessee - Col. Daniel Wilson Holman.
- Shaw's Battalion - Consolidated - Maj. Joseph Shaw.
- O.P. Hamilton's Battalion - Consolidated - Maj. Joseph Shaw.
- R.D. Allison's Squadron - Consolidated - Maj. Joseph Shaw.
Huggin's (Freeman's) Tennessee Battery - Capt. A.L. Huggins.
Morton's Tennessee Battery - Capt. John W. Morton, Jr.

Dibrell's Brigade, advanced dismounted, with Armstrong's Division from the woods east of this position about 11 o'clock A.M. Sept. 20th, and with the 1st Tennessee and McDonald's Battalion, mounted, in advance, took possession of the Union hospitals about Cloud's. At noon it was compelled to withdraw by Granger's troops which arrived from McAfee's church on their way to the relief of Gen. Thomas at Snodgrass Hill. After passage of Granger's column there was a second advance of Armstrong's troops to the LaFayette Road which was again pushed back by Granger's troops. During the afternoon the
Dibrell's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
2. Dibrell's Brigade Marker
View of the historic marker looking north along the Old Lafayette Road.
command was not actively engaged.
 
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-1151.)
 
Location. 34° 57.058′ N, 85° 15.576′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Old Lafayette Road south of Coffman Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historic marker is located about half a block north of where the Old Lafayette Road runs into the current Lafayette Road (at White Street). Marker is at or near this postal address: 2007 Old Lafayette Road, Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shaw's Tennessee Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st Regiment & 18th Battalion Tennessee Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Tennessee C.S.A. Cavalry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armstrong's Division - Forrest's Cavalry Corps. (about 300 feet away); Hospitals, Left Wing, Union Army. (about 300 feet away); Armstrong's Brigade. (about 400 feet away); 1st Georgia Cavalry (about 600 feet away); Forrest's Pursuit (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Dibrell's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
3. Dibrell's Brigade Marker
View of the historic marker along the west side of the road, in front of the parking lot for a local business office.
Dibrell's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 19, 2012
4. Dibrell's Brigade Marker
View of the historic marker looking south along the Old Lafayette Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement