Chester in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Richmond National Battlefield Park
A one-quarter-mile walking trail through the site offers a window into the existence of a typical Civil War artillery company on the front lines during the final year of the war. The men depended on the marssive earthen fortifications for daily protection. Elaborately constructed cannon emplacements are reminders of why they were here. A small monument, erected by the survivors of Parkerís Battery, emphasizes the importance of this place in their post-Civil War lives.
William Watts Parker, a Richmond physician, raised an artillery company in 1862 and gave it his name. Just weeks before the warís end, Captain Parker received promotion to major and left the battery.
The contending armies marched from Cold Harbor towards Petersburg in mid-June 1864 in what became a dramatic high-stakes race. Both sides already held fortified lines here on the Bermuda Hundred peninsula. Grant borrowed troops from this force—Gen. Benjamin F. Butlerís Army of the James—to
General P.G.T. Beauregard commanded the Confederate troops at Bermuda Hundred. He made the difficult decision to abandon the peninsula and rush to the aid of Petersburgís defenders. Very briefly, the route to Richmond lay open through Bermuda Hundred. But Leeís Confederate army arrived in time to restore the lines here and to help defends Petersburg. Parkerís battery was part of the force that Lee assigned to Bermuda Hundred on June 17.
Bermuda Hundred/Parkerís Battery
After Butlerís army landed at Bermuda Hundred on May 5, 1864, this area saw continuous operations until April 3, 1865, forcing Confederate leaders to defend this area with veteran troops, like Parkerís Battery. Today this site offers a well-preserved window into the conditions along Richmondís defenses in 1864 and 1865. Although most of the adjacent entrenchments and battlefields associated with this campaign are gone forever, Parkerís Battery stands as an evocative reminder of how things were in that dramatic era.
The Confederate defenses at Petersburg eventually became complex and extensive. But in June 1864 a badly outnumbered force desperately guarded the primary line of defense against the converging columns of the Union army.
Map represents situation in June 1864
Visiting Richmond National Battlefield Park
The concentration of Civil War resources found in the Richmond area is unparalleled. The National Park Service manages 13 sites, giving visitors an opportunity to examine the battlefield landscapes, to hear the stories of the combatants and civilian residents, and to understand the complex reasons why Richmond came to symbolize the heart and soul of the Confederacy.
This is a partial list of park regulations. Site is open sunrise to sunset. Report suspicious activities to any park employee or call 804-795-5018. In emergencies call 911.
Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
All natural and cultural resources are protected by law.
Relic hunting is prohibited. Possession of a metal detector in the park is illegal.
Hunting, trapping, feeding, or otherwise disturbing wildlife is prohibited.
Weapons are prohibited inside all park buildings.
Pets must be on a leash.
Recreation activities like kite-flying, ball-playing, and frisbee throwing are prohibited.
Motor vehicles and bicycles must remain on established roads.
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park.
Location. 37° 20.994′ N, 77° 23.691′ W. Marker is in Chester, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker can be reached from Ware Bottom Spring Road 0.1 miles east of Old Stage Road, on the right when traveling east. Located within the Parkerís Battery Unit of the Richmond National Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1801 Ware Bottom Spring Road, Chester VA 23836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boy Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Howlett Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Remembrance (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Parker's Battery (about 600 feet away); Battery Dantzler (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Howlett Line (approx. 0.3 miles away); Howlett Line Gun Position (approx. 0.4 miles away); Construction of the Howlett Line (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Also see . . .
1. Richmond National Battlefield Park. (Submitted on June 27, 2013.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Richmond Battlefields” (Submitted on June 27, 2013.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Parkerís Battery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.