Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park
Above: Young boys beside the second Glencarlyn station, 1930s.
Below: The first station, built in 1896.
Credits: Large background photograph-Courtesy Thomas Underwood. Photograph upper right-Courtesy Arlington Historical Society. From Washington & Old Dominion Railroad by Ames W. Williams. Exhibit painting and design-Jane Henna, Leesburg, Va. This wayside
Erected by Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 52.01′ N, 77° 7.48′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from N. Granada Street. This marker is on the Washington & Old Dominion bike trail at the intersection with the Four Mile Run Trail, just north of the underpass beneath Arlington Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carlin Springs (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mary Carlin House (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Ball House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Ball-Carlin Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Carlin Community Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Moses Ball Grant (approx. half a mile away); Reevesland (approx. half a mile away); Washington's Survey Marker (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. The marker is incorrect in stating that the Carlin family acquired the property in 1766. In fact they acquired the property in 1772.
Regarding Glencarlyn Station. The "Carlin family house" referred to on this marker is marked by the nearby "John Ball
Categories. • Colonial Era • Entertainment • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Glencarlyn Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 10, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on August 10, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.