Savage in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Carroll Baldwin Memorial Hall
The building consists of a main hall, where graduation ceremonies, meetings, parties, and musical events continue to be held. A stage for plays and movies is at the east end, where residents played the piano or drums to accompany silent movies in the 1920's. The building had a "radio listening apparatus," and dances were often held.
The room at the west end, with the large fireplace, housed the first library in Savage. It operated from 1922 until the new Savage Branch of the Howard Public Library opened on Gorman Road in 1991.
The basement provided a kitchen, a pool table and a bowling alley. For a time, it served as the local branch of the Health Department.
While Savage continued to prosper as a mill town, the Hall was used for a variety of events. After the Savage Mill ceased to manufacture cotton duck canvas, and was sold after WWII to Harry Heim, the hall turned into a toy shop that displayed toys and Christmas ornaments
in 1955, concerned citizens, spearheaded by the Savage Home-makers Club, raised funds to make repairs, and revived the Carroll Baldwin Memorial Institute. After more decades of use, the building showed signs of wear as it neared its century-mark. In 2010, a Community Legacy Grant was awarded to restore the historic structure so it can continue to enrich the lives of the town's residents into the 21st Century.
Who was Carroll Baldwin?
Known as "a friend of his fellow workers," Carroll Baldwin was president of the Savage Manufacturing Company from 1905 until his death in 1918, a the age of 46. His successor described him as "generous to partners, to associates, to relatives, and to those who worked for him." He was also "devoted to his mother and sisters," and was "socially a favorite with many."
His sister Sallie, wished to create a tribute to him that would benefit people of the town where he worked and where Baldwin family's summer home was located. Family members began erecting a building, laying the cornerstone in 1921, and forming a non-profit corporation to develop and maintain a public library and community hall for "meetings, entertainments and amusements" of the town's residents. Chartered on June 23, 1922, with a board of Managers and
The Memorial was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1922. Carroll's uncle,the Reverend Charles W. Baldwin, delivered a tribute, a plaque was unveiled and hymns were sung. Afterward, 500 people enjoyed a turkey dinner, provided by the Savage Manufacturing Company -- a Baldwin family-owned business since 1859.
Erected 2012 by Howard County Recreation and Parks.
Location. 39° 8.247′ N, 76° 49.507′ W. Marker is in Savage, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Street and Foundry Street on Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9035 Baltimore Street, Savage MD 20763, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Savage Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bollman Iron Truss Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Savage Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Survey Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Harry R. Hughes Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Patuxent Branch of the B&O Railroad (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Granite Quarries (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savage.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 1, 2015, by Jeff K. Smith of Jessup, Maryland. 3. submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on January 1, 2015, by Jeff K. Smith of Jessup, Maryland. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on December 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.