Oakland in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland was formed on November 10, 1925 when citizen passed bonds for the development of port facilities. On February 12, 1927, the first permanent Board of Port Commissioners was sworn in by Mayor John L. Davie, The Portís headquarters were moved in 1931 from a downtown office building to the Grove Street Pier at the foot of what is now Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The Port office relocated to 66 Jack London Square in 1961 and to this current headquarters in 1990.
A self-supporting arm of the city government, the Port of Oakland has jurisdiction over the cityís 19-mile waterfront and generates revenues through its maritime, aviation, and commercial real estate activities. An intermodal pioneer, Oakland remains one of the top container ports in the United States. Oakland International Airport, the take-off point for the first transpacific flights, has been in operation since its 1927 dedication by Charles Lindbergh. The Portís real estate developments include the Oakland Airport Business Park, Embarcadero Cove, and Jack London Square, with numerous parks and pathways providing public access to Oaklandís waterfront.
Port of Oakland Employees
in remembrance of
Erected by Port of
Location. 37° 47.748′ N, 122° 16.765′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Clay Street and Water Street, on the right when traveling south on Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Clay Street, Oakland CA 94607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. USS Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the Transbay Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Evolution of a Marine Terminal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles P. Howard Terminal (about 300 feet away); Estuary Industry (about 500 feet away); Live Oak Lodge U.D (about 700 feet away); Jack London (about 700 feet away); Oakland's First Wharf (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
More about this marker. This marker is located in Jack London Square. Jack London Square is closed to vehicular traffic.
Also see . . . About the Port: History - Port of Oakland. The container era began in Oakland in 1962, when the S.S. Elizabethport, then the world's largest freighter, arrived at the Port's Outer Harbor Terminal to inaugurate containership operations by Sea-Land Service, Inc. (Submitted on January 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 361 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.