Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fredericksburg's Wharves and Harbor
During the late 18th century, this area underwent a transformation from an informal scattering of individual docks into an organized wharf complex. The wharves once stretched from where you are standing northward to the railroad bridge.
Prior to the introduction of the railroad, the wharves were the center of commerce and transportation for the city and continued to play a major role in travel and trade throughout the 19th century.
From this site a traveler could board a vessel bound for numerous locations. A November, 1855, report in the Fredericksburg News lists New York, Boston and Portland, Maine, as cities served by vessels calling port in Fredericksburg.
Erected by University of Mary Washington.
Location. 38° 17.781′ N, 77° 27.185′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Sophia Street and Frederick Street, on the left when traveling south on Sophia Street. Touch for map. Located in City Dock Park. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. George Washington’s Boyhood Home at Ferry Farm (here, next to this marker); Fredericksburg City Dock (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fredericksburg City Dock (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fredericksburg City Dock (within shouting distance of this marker); No Outlet (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Slave Ship Othello (about 300 feet away); The Middle Passage (about 300 feet away); The Sentry Box (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2014, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 742 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2014, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.