New Johnsonville in Humphreys County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Nashville and Northwestern Railroad
Building the Railroad
Construction began in the fall of 1863, supervised by the 1st Michigan Engineers. Several thousand conscripted African Americans made up the bulk of the work force. Companies of the 12th and 13th United States Colored Infantries guarded the laborers from raids by Confederate troops and guerillas.
Supplying Sherman's Atlanta Campaign
After its completion in May 1864, the Nashville and Northwestern served as the major supply route for the Union armies south and east of Nashville.
The supply line began at Paducah, Kentucky on the Ohio River at the mouth of the Tennessee.
Steamboats carried supplies up the Tennessee River to Johnsonville. The Nashville and Northwestern then carried the supplies to Nashville, where they were shipped to Gen. William T. Sherman's army in Georgia.
Courtesy of Tennessee State Library and Archives
Erected by Tennessee State Parks.
Location. 36° 3.665′ Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Johnsonville State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Nell Beard Road, New Johnsonville TN 37134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Town of Johnsonville (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Colored Troops at Johnsonville (about 600 feet away); Forrest's Opening Move (about 800 feet away); Johnsonville (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Union Supply Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Johnsonville (approx. ¼ mile away); The Tennessee River in the Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Johnsonville (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Johnsonville.
Also see . . . Johnsonville State Historic Park. (Submitted on June 15, 2014.)
Categories. • African Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.