Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Doyle Morgan House
When Morgan retired in 1906, citizens presented him a sterling silver punch bowl in recognition of his “Zeal and Energy” and “Untiring Efforts for the Improvement of the City and Her Harbor.” He founded and was president of the Bank of Georgetown 1891–1927. Morgan, a devout Catholic, was also instrumental in the construction of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, built in 1899–1901 and consecrated in 1902.
Erected 1997 by Georgetown County Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-43.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 732 Prince Street, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 732 - 734 Front Street (about 500 feet away); 726 Front Street (about 500 feet away); 724 Front Street (about 500 feet away); 718 Front Street (about 500 feet away); Only Colonial Banking House in America (about 500 feet away); Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah (about 500 feet away); Prince George Winyah Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . Biographical Sketch. “ ‘His love for Georgetown knew no bounds. He was always progressive and public spirited and ready to respond to any call for the benefit of Georgetown.’ —The Georgetown Times, 2 September 1938.” (Submitted on May 4, 2008.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,878 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.