Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Catharines in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Anglican Church, St. Catharines

(1795 - 1836)

 
 
Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker (post) image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
1. Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker (post)
Inscription. On this site stood the Anglican chapel, St. Catharines (1795 - 1836), the first public building in the community. The name St. Catharines became associated with the community and the church. By 1797 a log school house was situated just east of this spot. The Parish included a cemetery and a parsonage. An assignment to the church dated Feb. 17, 1796 is the first documented use of the City's name and records the names of the 44 heads of the community's founding families and others from the surrounding area.

John Backhouse, John Hayner, Jacob Dittrick, Abraham Clendenin, Benjamin Froilick, Henry Smith, Zackariah Hayner, Richard Hayner, Albert Hayner, Adam Haynes, Cornelius Follock, John Decow, Robert Campbell, John Turney, John Brown, William Day, Obediah Hopkins, Peter Hopkins, Asa Waterhouse, John Willson Senr., Hugh Willson, John Kelly, Jonathan Nunn, George Couke, Jacob Upper, Anthony Upper, Petter Wever, George Houver, Stephen Seburn, Philip Metler, Andrew Hanseler, Jacob Bowman, George Keefer, Michael Teattor, Jacob Ball Jr., George Hartsell, John Stevens, Adam Hutt, John Dennis, John Bessey, James Newkirk, Francis Wever, Robert Bessey, Jabish Bessey.
 
Erected 1996 by St. Catharines Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 43° 9.255′ 
St. George's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
2. St. George's Church Marker
This stone adjacent to the posted marker is set back between large bushes. The inscription reads as follows:

1796 + 1935
The hand of God unrolls the scroll [of] time. On this we read the story of a nation's birth, of an old church, a new land of men and women living valiantly under the gracious symbol of our salvation.

This stone of remembrance is placed whereby members of St. George's church within the churchyard where their fathers in the faith erected the first church of England in this community about the year 1796.

Dedicated by Wilmot, Lord Bishop of Niagara on Sunday Nov. 3rd, 1935, a century after the laying of the [?] stone of the present St. George's church on July 20th 1835.
N, 79° 14.763′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of St. Paul Street West (County Route 81) and McGuire Street, on the left when traveling south on St. Paul Street West. Touch for map. Marker is located is a small circular green space called Merritt Park containing the Merritt statue. Southbound, the markers are just before a long bridge. Marker is in this post office area: St. Catharines, Ontario L2R7C2, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Hamilton Merritt 1793 - 1862 (here, next to this marker); This Statue of the Honourable William Hamilton Merritt (a few steps from this marker); In Memorium Reqviescant in Pace (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara District United Empire Loyalists Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Lance Corporal Fred Fisher, V.C. (within shouting distance of this marker); Louis Shickluna 1808-1880 (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Shipbuilding in St. Catharines 1845 (about 150 meters away); Ridley College (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
3. Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker
McGuire Street in background
Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
4. Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker
Southward view. The markers are at the left with the bushes.
Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
5. Anglican Church, St. Catharines Marker
Northward, looking right, the stone marker is hidden by bushes, and the William Hamilton Merritt marker and statue are dominant.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.   4, 5. submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement