Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Van Schaick

 
 
Camp Van Schaick - Van Schaick Island, Cohoes, NY image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 7, 2008
1. Camp Van Schaick - Van Schaick Island, Cohoes, NY
Inscription.
Continental Army, Northern
Department under command
General Philip Schuyler
General Horatio Gates
Aug. 15 - Sept. 8, 1777

 
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 46.106′ N, 73° 41.368′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Avenue and Myrtle Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Northwest corner of the Van Schaick Park which is bounded by Park Ave on the West, Myrtle Ave on the North, Continental Ave. on the East and Van Schaick Ave. on the South. Marker is in this post office area: Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Camp Van Schaick (here, next to this marker); Van Schaick Mansion (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Van Schaick Mansion (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Van Schaick Mansion (about 800 feet away); Van Schaick Burial Plot (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Camp Van Schaick Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, November 7, 2011
2. Camp Van Schaick Marker
Van Schaick Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Juncta (approx. 0.6 miles away); Herman Melville (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cohoes.
 
Also see . . .
1. Six Days in August. Trouble was brewing in 1777 at Camp Van Schaick on Van Schaick Island, located where the Hudson meets the Mohawk. The transfer of command from General Philip Schuyler to General Horatio Gates was going badly. Gates did not want to accept command of the ill-fed, ill-clothed army, and the troops were grumbling about being under Gates' command. On August 22, Governor George Clinton went to Camp Van Schaick to settle the problem. With the help of General Schuyler's loan of $10,000 for supplies, Governor Clinton negotiated the transfer, and left the island on August 27. That was roughly six weeks before October 7, when the American soldiers captured General Burgoyne at the second Battle of Saratoga, and turned the tide of the Revolutionary War. (Submitted on May 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. The Camp Van Schaick loan... This link, from the Van Schaick Mansion Website identifies John Van Schaick as the source of $10,000 loan.
"In this house-
John G. Van Schaick (the third generation in America)
Camp Van Schaick Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 7, 2008
3. Camp Van Schaick Marker
Cohoes' Park Avenue is on the right.
loaned $10,000.00 in gold to General Gates, with the influence of General Schuyler, on August 19, 1777 for the purchase of military supplies. In return, Van Schaick was given Continental script. This script was never redeemed as Congress took the position that General Gates had no authority to borrow the money." (Submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.) 
 
Categories. Notable EventsWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,708 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   2. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   3. submitted on May 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement