The Town of Herrington: Unearthing the Origins of South County
Archaeologists and volunteers discovered Herrington about a mile to the south on a high flat area overlooking a cove on Herring Bay, in proximity to fresh water springs and aligned with a roadway that may date to the 17th century. Excavations produced evidence of two earthfast or post-in-ground buildings and a large collection of colonial period artifacts. Extensive archival research identified one-acre size lots within this 100-acre settlement occupied by planters, merchants, and mariners. Further research is needed to determine why Herrington largely disappeared from the historical record by the early 18th century.
(Inscription under the map in the upper left)
A 1671 map of the Chesapeake Bay documents Herrington’s
(Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
Lost Towns Project archaeologists and volunteers sift excavated soil through wire screens looking for artifacts from the 17th century.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower center)
These darkened stains in the soil, called features, indicate where structural wooden posts once supported one of the towns earthfast buildings. Archaeologist dug through almost three feet of siltation to find them.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower center right)
The project recovered a wide range of artifacts from the town site, including imported ceramics, architectural materials, oyster shells, and fragments of clay tobacco pipes.
(Inscription under the photo at the right top)
Some Herrington inhabitants converted to Quakerism, while others were active members of St James, an Anglican parish founded in 1692. These surviving gravestones at the church belong to lot holder Christopher Birckhead and his wife Anne. Leadership (Inscription under the family crest) Several Herrington lot holders held high ranking offices, notably Samuel Chew Sr., and Thomas Tench. Both were councilors to Lord Baltimore, as well as legislators and court justices.
Signboard sponsored by Four Rivers: The Heritage Area of Annapolis, London Town and South County, Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, Anne Arundel County, Anne Arundel County Trust for Preservation, Herrington Harbour North, and Severn Graphics.
Location. 38° 46.59′ N, 76° 34.032′ W. Marker is in Tracys Landing, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Old Deale Road. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of Herrington Harbour North. Marker is in this post office area: Tracys Landing MD 20779, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birds of Prey (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Outnumbered (about 800 feet away); Wildlife You May See (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chesapeake Bay Wetlands (approx. 0.3 miles away); Anne and Christopher Birckhead (approx. 1.9 miles away); Saint James’ Church
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.