Smith’s St. Leonard Site
An Unexpected Discovery
In the mid-1600s, Richard Smith, Sr., Maryland’s first Attorney General, settled at St. Leonard. According to the plot, his home and the family cemetery were located next to the museum buildings that now stand behind you. Archaeologists believe that the Smith family lived in 3 different houses between the 1650s and the 1710s. In the colonial period, people often stayed in a house for only a few decades before moving to a new location on their farm. Because of this, people sometimes assume that any old house standing today dates to when a property was first settled, when in fact it may be much younger.
(Inscription under the image in the lower center)
View of the
“…ye Dwelling House wherein the Plaintiffs’ Grandfather lived; on ye Gable end of which is Set, in Brick ‘ye following Figures…1711.”
Detail from the 1773 plot, giving the year the plantation’s main house was built.
“Joshua Sedwick…standing in an Old Road Deposeth that when…he was not more than Ten or Twelve years of age a Gate stood there…”
Deposition of Joshua Sedwick, age 57, on February 11, 1773, showing that detailed landscape information provided by the court case.
Funding for this project was provided by the Maryland Humanities Council and the Friends of Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum.
Location. 38° 23.653′ N, 76° 30.456′ W. Marker is in St. Leonard, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Jefferson Patterson Park Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Leonard MD 20685, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “We Must Have Done Them Considerable Damage” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Search for the Chesapeake Flotilla (within shouting distance of this marker); Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 21, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.