Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Riverdale Cemetery
In 1890, availability of lots at Linwood Cemetery, the oldest institution of the Columbus city government, was becoming scarce. At that time, the city acquired additional property on 10th Avenue which became Riverdale Cemetery. The brick building near the entrance, erected in 1915, originally included a chapel, housing for the city sexton and a bell tower atop an arched passageway for funeral processions. Many citizens who have contributed significantly to the development and history of Columbus are buried here.
Through the years, special sections have been marked at the cemetery, including the American Legion for veterans of the armed forces, a separate area for Spanish-American War veterans highlighted by a monument to the Maine, two sections for members of the Jewish community, and an area of miniature lots called “Baby Land”. In addition, a monument resembling a circus tent was placed by the Kennedy Circus in Section 1 to memorialize those killed in a 1915 accident involving a circus train from the Con T. Kennedy Shows and a Central of Georgia passenger train.
Erected 2008 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc. in Memory of Lawrence S. Rosenstrauch.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is located on the entrance road to Riverdale Cemetery, 50 yards off Victory Drive. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Victory Drive, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jewish Section of Riverdale Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Moses Dallas: Confederate Naval Pilot/American Slave (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Siege Gun (about 600 feet away); Circus Train Wreck Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hero's Memorial (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Oglethorpe Meets the Indians at Coweta (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fourth Street Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mildred L. Terry Branch Library (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,196 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on April 4, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 6. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 7, 8. submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.