Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse
(continued on other side)
each of these pediments is the head of Minerva, Roman goddess of wisdom. Since 1921 the south corridor has featured a bust of President Andrew Jackson, one of the founders of Memphis. Sculpted by John Frazee from life in 1835, the bust was purchased by the City in 1858 and originally placed in the Court Square two blocks southwest of this site. The bust features at its base the words of Jackson's famous toast "Our Federal Union, It must and shall be preserved." This inscription was defaced during the Civil War but, like the Union itself, was soon restored.
Erected by The Seal of Shelby County Tennessee.
Location. 35° 8.864′ N, 90° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 Adams Avenue, Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forrest and the Memphis Slave Trade (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest's Early Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1862 Post Office (about 300 feet away); Former Criminal Courts Building (about 400 feet away); Shelby County Archives and Hall of Records / Former Criminal Courts Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,127 times since then. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on November 2, 2010, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.