Brantford in Brant County, Ontario — Central Canada
St. Paul’s 1785
H.M. Chapel of the Mohawks
—Chapelle Royale des Mohawks —
This chapel, the first Protestant church in Ontario, was built by the Crown for the Mohawks of the Six Nations Iroquois who settled here in 1794. It replaced the Queen Anne Chapel (1712) at Fort Hunter, New York, which the Mohawk lost, along with their lands, as a result of their alliance with the British during the American War of Independence. The church was dedicated to St. Paul in 1788 by the Reverend John Stuart. In 1904 it was given Royal designation by Edward VII. It is the only Royal Chapel in North America.
Cette chapelle, la première église protestante en Ontario est construite par la Couronne pour les Mohawks (Agniers) des Six-Nations iroquois qui s’installent ici en 1784. Elle replace la chapelle de la reine Anne (1712) à Fort Hunter, New York, qui perdent les Mohawks en même temps que leurs terres à la suite de leur alliance avec les Anglais pendant la Révolution américaine. Le révérend John Stuart dédie l’église à saint Paul en 1788. En 1904, Édouard VII lui décerne la désignation royale. C’est la seul chapelle royale en Amérique du Nord.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Location. 43° 7.461′ N, 80° 14.123′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Mohawk Street, Brantford, Ontario N3S 2X2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Her Majesty’s Chapel of the Mohawks (within shouting distance of this marker); Mohawk Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Tomb of THAYENDANEGEA (within shouting distance of this marker); Cogwagee • Tom Longboat (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Ahyouwaeghs - John Brant (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Thayendanega (Joseph Brant) (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); The Six Nations (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); The Six Nations War Memorial (approx. 11.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brantford.
More about this marker. This marker is located near the chapel.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 25, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5. submitted on June 5, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.