Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tappan in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The First Courthouse

 
 
The First Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
1. The First Courthouse Marker
Inscription. A log structure, with whipping posts and stocks, was erected on this Tappan green C. 1691. Here justice was administered to all of Orange County, which then included present Rockland. A more permanent courthouse and "gaol," built in 1739, was destroyed by fire in 1774. New City became the seat of government when the County of Rockland was set off from Orange in 1798.
 
Erected 1988 by The Historical Society of Rockland County and The Orangetown Tricentennial Committee.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
 
Location. 41° 1.348′ N, 73° 56.884′ W. Marker is in Tappan, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Highway and Washington Street, on the left when traveling north on Kings Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tappan NY 10983, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Floris Willemse Krom (here, next to this marker); Tappan Vietnam Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Tappan Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); Tappan World War II Memorial
Tappan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
2. Tappan Marker
This photo looks east, in the drection of the Reformed Dutch Church.
(a few steps from this marker); Tappan Korean Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Trial of Andre (a few steps from this marker); Reformed Dutch Church of Tappan (a few steps from this marker); Memorial Flags (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tappan.
 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical Subdivisions
 
Marker and the Tappan Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
3. Marker and the Tappan Green
The Green in the photo, west of the marker, is the location of the Orange County's first courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then. Last updated on June 25, 2008, by Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement