Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Town House
stood, from 1718 until 1785,
The Town House.
Here Governor Burnet convened
The General Court in 1728 and 1729,
a Town Meeting held here in 1765
protested against The Stamp Act,
and another in 1769,
denounced the tax on tea.
Here met, in 1774, the last General Assemby
of the Province of the Massachusetts Bay,
which, June 17, in defiance of Governor Gage,
chose delegates to
The First Continental Congress.
The House of Assembly was thereupon dissolved,
and the election of a new house, to meet at Salem,
as ordered by the Governor, but this,
by later proclamation, he refused to recognize.
In contempt of his authority the members met
in this town house, October 5,
and after organizing resolved themselves to
A Provincial Congress,
and adjourned to Concord,
there to act with other delegates as
The First Provincial Congress of Massachusetts.
Location. 42° 31.281′ N, 70° 53.727′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Meeting House Erected in Salem (within shouting distance of this marker); Lyceum Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Witch Gaol (about 600 feet away); Peabody Museum of Salem (about 700 feet away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burying Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Essex County Armed Services Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Salem Witch Trials Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Patriots & Patriotism •
More. Search the internet for The Town House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.