Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Marshall J. Moore House
From 1936 until 1993, the house remained in the family as the home of the Moore's youngest daughter Albertine and husband Elisha Campbell. In 1993, shortly after Mr. Campbell's death, his fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha, Upsilon Lambda Chapter, purchased the house in 2001, the fraternity restored the house retaining Victorian architectural details such as ornamental mantels and diamond shaped windows.
This historic landmark, currently being used as a social and civic gathering place for the fraternity and the community, was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1999.
Location. 32° 22.002′ N, 86° 17.779′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jackson Street and Tuscaloosa Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 754 South Jackson St., Montgomery AL 36101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alabama State University / Tullibody (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosa Louise Parks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Black Members of the Alabama Legislature Who Served During The Reconstruction Period of 1868-1879 (about 500 feet away); Birth of Montgomery Bus Boycott (about 600 feet away); Georgia Gilmore (approx. ¼ mile away); Alabama State University / Tatum Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home of Ralph David Abernathy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Nat "King" Cole (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2010, by Dodson M. Curry of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,391 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on July 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2010, by Dodson M. Curry of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.