Midway in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
John Lambert was born in south Carolina in 1716 and died at his plantation here in December 1786. He is buried in the Midway Cemetery. He never married and, having no family, left his entire estate in a perpetual trust with the stipulation that the income be applied "to the support of the gospel, for the relief of the poor and distressed, or whatever pious and good purpose may be answered." The executors sold the plantation and slaves in 1847 and invested the capital in securities. The Estate of John Lambert exists to this day, using the yearly income for "pious and good purposes."
Erected 1994 by The Executors and Trustees of the Estate Of John Lambert.
Location. 31° 45.996′ N, 81° 26.93′ W. Marker is in Midway, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of Ocean Highway (U.S. 17) and Oak Creek Road, on the right when traveling north on Ocean Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Post Road (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First African Baptist Church Riceborough (approx. 1.6 miles away); General James Screven (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sunbury and Fort Morris (approx. 2˝ miles away); New Life For Dorchester Academy 1932-1940 (approx. 2˝ miles away); Liberty County Citizen's Council 1946 - 1953 (approx. 2˝ miles away); S.C.L.C. and the Voter Education Program 1962-1970 (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midway.
Also see . . . Lambert Plantation. Georgia Historical Society (Submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. John Lambert
The following story is on a sign in the Midway Cemetery: "Just as the left of the gate is a monument of John Lambert, who died in 1786. Leaving no family, he left his estate to be used for charitable purposes and for the promotion of learning and religion. This estate, though at the present comparatively small, has for nearly a 150 years been a wonderful help to the three Presbyterian churches in the county
— Submitted April 15, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,414 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on April 15, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Lambert Plantation area. • Can you help?