Piney Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters
The original brick structure measured 30 ft. by 20 ft. and was built as a one-storey dwelling with a central fireplace and a ground level basement. There have been numerous renovations and preservation efforts over the years.
The house served as a residence for light keepers and their families for more than a century. After the site became a Coast Guard station in 1939, the house alternately served as a barracks for as many as 20 servicemen or a residence for families stationed with Coast Guard light keepers. Now owned by the St. Marys County Government, the structure is a rental home for on-site security.
Caption of photo in upper left corner of marker.
The Piney Point Lighthouse bell tower, light tower and keeper's quarter photo taken in 1912.
Caption of photo in lower right corner of marker
Photographs of a Coast Guard family that lived in the Piney Point keeper's quarters
Erected by Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Location. 38° 8.154′ N, 76° 31.748′ W. Marker is in Piney Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piney Point MD 20674, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Potomac River Military Testing (here, next to this marker); Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Bay Lights (here, next to this marker); Natural Highways (here, next to this marker); Osprey (here, next to this marker); Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piney Point.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 849 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.