Bailey's Prairie in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Briton "Brit" Bailey
He settled on what came to be "Bailey's Prairie". Joined Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1824.
Bailey became a captain in the local militia. Fought in battles preceding 1836 Texas Revolution.
At his request he was buried standing up, facing west, gun at side so no one could look down on him, even in death.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9523.)
Location. 29° 8.778′ N, 95° 31.353′ W. Marker is in Bailey's Prairie, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of Jimmy Phillips Boulevard (State Highway 35) and Munson Ranch Road, on the right when traveling west on Jimmy Phillips Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1960 Jimmy Phillips Boulevard, Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Munson Cemetery (here, next to this marker); "Brit" Bailey Plantation (here, next to Site of Carry Nation's Hotel (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bell's Landing (approx. 5.6 miles away); Robert J. Calder (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Ammon Underwood House (approx. 5.7 miles away); Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (approx. 5.7 miles away); Old Brazoria County Courthouse (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bailey's Prairie.
More about this marker. The Texas Medallion is missing. Appears to have been stolen.
Also see . . . Article from The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 15, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for James Briton "Brit" Bailey.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.