Henry Delbert and E. Delbert Bros. Barge Building
Elk Landing 1889 to 1911
An estimated 200 “Schooner Barges” and Canal Boats were built on the Elk Creek at Elk landing and north to Oldfield Point Bridge. These large vessels were launched sideways into the creek, which was about 60 ft. wide at the time.
To understand just how large these barges were, look left to the pine tree, then right to the sycamore tree on knoll. This marks approximately 215 ft., the length of the “Arundel”.
Erected by Historic Elk Landing Foundaton, Inc.
Location. 39° 35.783′ N, 75° 50.438′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Landing Lane. The marker is on the grounds of Elk Landing, Hollingsworth House. As you enter the property it is on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 590 Landing Lane, Elkton MD 21921, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Strong Defense
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Henry Delbert and E. Delbert Bros. Barge Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 8, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.