The Historic National Road in Ohio
The new “pike town” that resulted from the construction of the National Road or National Pike was named in honor of President Thomas Jefferson, the prefix West being added by later by the post office department.
West Jefferson was incorporated as a town in 1833 and with the construction of the National Road grew to about 300 inhabitants, five tayerns, a large horse barn used by the stagecoaches, a grocery store, a blacksmith shop and two water powered sawmills. By 1844-
Merchants traveled the National Road by stagecoach which ran three to five daily coaches in each direction, connecting to eastern markets in Boston and New York City to purchase goods that were shipped by canal to Columbus and then westward by four and six horse teams pulling freight wagons. Situated on the Darby Plains, some of the most fertile farmland in Ohio, the region grew as a result of the National Road. Two slaughter houses were located nearby and furnished much of the dressed meats for the Columbus Market.
The building of the old Columbus and Xenia Railroad (later absorbed by the Pennsylvania system) about 1848 slowed the growth of commerce along the National Road.
Erected 2016 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 56.699′ N, 83° 16.099′ W. Marker is in West Jefferson, Ohio, in Madison County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is next to the Mayor's Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 West Main Street, West Jefferson OH 43162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 18, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.