Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
Originally, the ferry was powered by four men pulling a pair of oars. In 1826, the state legislature required conversion to a horse boat, four hourses turning a wheel which in turn propelled the boat. A steam boat was introduced in 1840.
The stone pier was widened in the 1930s to build Buffalo's sewage treatment plant and the present park.
View across the canal and harbor to the ferry wharf, about 1888. Source: eee. eriecanal.com NPS Multiple Property Doc Form Appendix B, P2.
Background: The ferry wharf and customs house with the Frontier Mills beyond. Huntress (1880, Propeller). Source: C. Patrick Labadie Collection / Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Alpena, MI.
Location. 42° 54.911′ N, 78° 54.188′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York Touch for map. Marker is in Broderick Park on Unity Island (nee Squaw Island), straight ahead and beyond the flagpoles as one crosses onto the island on the West Ferry Bascule Bridge. Access is from Niagara Street (NY route 266) at West Ferry Street/Robert Rich Way. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14213, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Industrial Powerhouse (here, next to this marker); Underground Railroad River Crossing (a few steps from this marker); West Ferry Street Bascule Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Rock Harbor / From Plantation to Promised Land (within shouting distance of this marker); Broderick Park / Distinctive River Ecosystems (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrowing Journey (within shouting distance of this marker); Nowak Pier (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peter B. Porter (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for International Crossing.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.